Random Movie News: Bryan Singer No Longer Directing X-Men
Didn’t have time to track all the movie news over the last week? Here’s a snapshot of some of the most interesting stories:
- Due to a scheduling conflict, Bryan Singer is no longer attached to direct X-Men: First Class. He will instead serve as producer. The likelihood of the movie being any good has just been reduced.
- Did anyone ask for an Eastern Promises 2? Director David Cronenberg, writer Steven Knight and actor Viggo Mortensen are allegedly reuniting to do a sequel to the 2007 Naomi Watts thriller, where Mortensen played an undercover cop in the Russian mob.
- Jack Bauer’s fate is apparently sealed, as the hit Fox TV show “24” will come to a close after this season. Rumors had the show moving to NBC, but apparently that will not happen. There’s still the likelihood of a 24 movie at some point in the future.
- Kip Williams has been selected to direct Paranormal Activity 2. Everyone still thinks the movie is a bad idea.
- Wasn’t there a time when the Cannes Film Festival was designed for film festival movies? Cannes will open with none other than Ridley Crowe’s blockbuster epic Robin Hood. Okay…
- The Associated Press said that Robert Downey Jr. hinted he’d like to do an Iron Man 3. Wow. Shocking. Note sarcasm.
- Twilight: New Moon, which had the audacity to be released last Saturday, sold 4 million copies in its first two days of release. That’s a lot of money for such a shitty film.
- Speaking of Twilight, Stephen Daldry is the latest director to have been approached to direct the final film, Breaking Dawn. Daldry was nominated for Best Director for Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Reader – in other words, all three movies he’s directed. Other rumored candidates are Sofia Coppola, Gus Van Sant and Bill Condon. No matter which director is chosen, the movie will still suck, considering it has no plot and no climax.
- Angela Bassett will play Dr. Amanda Walker in the upcoming Green Lantern movie.
- Brad Bird (The Incredibles) has joined the short list as possible directors for Mission: Impossible IV.
- Paul W.S. Anderson will direct a 3D version of Buck Rogers, practically dooming the movie to suck long before it is ever made.
- Despite the massive box office potential a Transformers 3D could have, director Michael Bay says that he is currently not planning to upconvert the sequel, claiming it looks “fake.” In other news, Frances McDormand and John Malkovich have joined the cast.
- Men in Black III could be Will Smith’s next movie, though he is also considering doing The City That Sailed.
- Director Adam McKay is apparently having trouble getting the cast together to do Anchorman 2. Will Ferrell is likely crying loudly, as he needs a box office hit to get back on track.
- If you thought Cop Out was a cop out for director Kevin Smith, it looks like he’s doing another unexpected project: a horror movie called Red State, which will being production this July.
- Chris Evans has been confirmed to play Captain America in The First Avenger: Captain America.
- Scream 4, with its original cast, will be released on April 15, 2011!
By Erik Samdahl
Related categories: Movies