The Friday box office results for the February 15-17 weekend (or for the February 14 to February 18 Valentine’s Day to President’s Day weekend) are here, and they imply a pretty impressive turnout for several new and returning films.
The Hayden Christensen-starring sci-fi thriller Jumper benefited from a lack of action films and a slick-looking premise to win Friday, after finishing in a “near dead heat” with Step Up 2 the Streets on Thursday. Jumper earned $8.2 million on Friday, bringing its two-day cume to $14.84.
Step Up 2 the Streets earned $6.25 million, The Spiderwick Chronicles $4.75 million and Definitely, Maybe only $2.9 million, for a disappointing fifth place finish. On the other hand, last week’s winner Fool’s Gold earned $3.9 million.
Here are the five day predications from Slashfilm:
- Jumper (Fox) – $34.47M
- Step Up 2 the Streets (Disney) – $28.45M
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (Paramount) – $25.35M
- Foolâ€™s Gold (Warner Bros) -$18.75M
- Definitely Maybe (Universal) – $14.4M
- Welcome Back, Roscoe Jenkins (Universal) – $11.29M
- Juno (Fox Searchlight) – $5.56M
- The Bucket List (Warner Bros) – $4.99M
- Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds (Disney) – $4.58M
- 27 Dresses (Fox) – $4.19M