As always, there has been a fair amount of movie news over the last week. Here’s the good stuff:
- Paranormal Activity beat out Saw VI at Friday’s box office. Saw‘s box office reign may be over, as it is likely to take in under $20 million this weekend (compared to last year’s $30+ million opening).
- Mad Max 4: Fury Road is finding traction, but without Mel Gibson. Rumors have the George Miller sequel starring Charlize Theron and Sam Worthington. I want Worthington’s agent.
- Daniel Craig says Bond 23 will start filming near the end of 2010. In that time, one hopes they figure out how to make it more like Casino Royale and less like Quantum of Solace.
- Wes Craven may actually direct Scream 4, which is not too surprising, and it may in fact be in 3D.
- Roman Polanski is facing extradition, as the United States has filed an official request with the Swiss government.
- Dylan Baker is returning for Spider-Man 4. Baker plays Dr. Curt Conners, who goes on to become The Lizard, a villain.
- Neill Blomkamp, who directed District 9, has started work on his next sci-fi film. The movie will have a modest budget, but will likely be higher than the $30 allotted for the summer hit.
- Rumors surfaced that George Lucas may be preparing to produce a new Star Wars trilogy in 3D, with such directors as Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola to direct. As expected, those rumors turned out to be false, as LucasFilm denied they were working on any such films.
- David Duchovny said he’d be open to doing a third X-Files movie and defended the dreadfully boring second film. He said he’d like to return to the alien mythology, though whether the movie ever gets made is another matter.
- Apparently, the screenplay for The Crow remake has been well-received by its studio and is now shifting to the casting stage.
- Ridley Scott and Angelina Jolie may be teaming up to bring the murder of Maurizo Gucci and the drama of the designer family to life in Gucci. Apparently, Leonardo DiCaprio has been approached but is currently not attached.
- The hit Broadway show Rock of Ages will come to life under the watchful eye of Hairspray director Adam Shankman.
- The Weinstein Co. is planning to reboot its tired Scary Movie franchise with all-new characters, which likely means that star Anna Faris will no longer be involved. They’re waiting for Scream 4 before starting.
- Jude Law and Robert DeNiro are rumored to be in the upcoming Thor movie.
- Jackie Earle Haley was recently rumored to play Sinestro in the upcoming Green Lantern movie. Haley shot down those rumors, but let’s hope they come true anyway, because he’d be perfect for the role.
- Laura Dern will play the headmistress at the school where Ben Stiller’s Little Fockers attend.
By Erik Samdahl on October 24th, 2009 | Movies